Thursday, October 27, 2022

Costco weekend adventure yielded many lessons (big surprise): Feature article

   October 2022

     In the last two years I have done various types of special projects at Costco all over the GTA region.

     This time it was going to be Kenneth Cole shoes.

    I did my online training in late September and was looking forward to the experience!

    As the weeks passed the date got closer and I was getting little nervous (normal for me).

   Two weeks prior to the event I was working another special project at the Metro Convention Centre in downtown Toronto where I met an old colleague that I worked with 22 years ago name Joe B.  

We had only a very quick conversation at the end I said " by the way where Andy Dean these days?" He responds " he is working at Costco Colossus on Hightway 7" 

 I said, " funny you say that I will be at that store in two weeks!" Joe responds, " that should be an interesting conversation!"

 I said, "Oh it will be!"

  Two weeks ago, by and the day has arrived to go to Costco Colossus.

 They plan was to cycle to Dupont Station take my bike on the subway and go to Vaughan Metropolitan Station and then cycle the rest of the way to the final destination Costco Colossus.

 ( see pictures below and rest of story is at the end of the pictures)

    

Cycling on Bloor Street West

                                                       Cycling on Bloor Street West (bike lanes east)




Jim Pagiamtzis at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre
Jim Pagiamtzis outside Vaughan Metropolitan Centre



Cycling across Bike lane on Highway 7 Bridge

Enter Bike lane bridge Highway 7 

Executive bike parking


                                                                                

Cosco Colossus




Kenneth Cole Shoes






Jim Pagiamtzis selling Kenneth Cole shoes
Jim Pagiamtzis selling Kenneth Cole shoes


     I reached the store and got some administrative work complete and was ready to sell some shoes!

  
     I had received some training on the Kenneth Cole shoes including the cool story on he got started! 
     (Highly recommend reading about it)

      It was day one of two, so I had time to get used to the surroundings and get used to all the different types of shoes.

        Costco customers are there to shop for all sorts of items, shoes, pants, food and anything else that catches their eye!

                                  Keep point in the top sentence "catches their eye!" 

   It didn't take long to get lots of interest in the wide assorted of men's and women's shoes that were available.


  My goal was very simple was to answer questions and sell as many shoes as I could in the six hours I was there.

   In the morning the employees at Costco had made the store look perfect!  but in less than 2hr it was a disaster!!!
  
                                        It was like a bunch of velociraptors had gone through the store

 
       Unfortunately, that wasn't the case as one Costco employee said to me "they spend $60 for a membership, and they can do anything they want to the store"

      I was little dismayed by here comment because I also avid shopper at Costco and make every effort not to make a mess.

     It became very apparent that their different types of customers some who cared many who didn't and a few that were very malicious with their actions!

     We did provide some samples of shoes to try, and many did do so. Yet at one point I saw some awful things that people with no socks trying the shoes! 

     I had to quickly remove and put them aside to be cleaned at a later time

  Then finally some cool things to share! 

  There was great instance of social made sharing with people taking pictures and sending them to friends and family (wives) for approval, some did live Facetime calls and others just picked them up and walked away.

    We had lots of shoes in stock, and I didn't as much as I thought I would

                                           
                                                       The perfect storm was coming the next day


   Saturday was an entirely different day. I was going to be there for the entire shift and was more prepared to deal with questions from clients

   It was more of the same as the day before, but the store was way busier and more hectic with customer. I can tell from their full shopping carts

                                                          Costco employees are the magicians of the store

     If you have never been to Costco store you definitely should visit one soon!  The store is truly a big place with lots of moving parts and different sections.  

    The amount of stock and inventory is truly amazing to see, and the work involved to keep it flowing is a true team effort.

       A key fact about Costco is they have a high retention of employees who have been there 10,20 and 25 years. Thye have a wall posted a all the stores with the name tags and year they started.

    It is something you don't see in many organizations these days and delight to see loyalty still is appreciated.

     
                                                                   Big Surprise!
        
       You remember earlier in the article I mentioned my old manager is now managing this Costco store (glad you made it this far!)  Well, we finally met at he looked little surprise but genuinely happy to see me. I shared my brief journey with him and my current role in public health for the 2 years.

  He was pleasantly surprised that I remember his wife's and daughter's names. I did tell him I had become a great networking and had still a good memory.



                                                                   Two of fun and many lessons


   In the end I had massive sales on Saturday and had some cool conversations with clients, customers that yield life and success strategies for business and life.

  









No comments:

Post a Comment