Monday, June 6, 2011

Spotlight: Donna Messer

For the past 5 years have enjoyed reading Donna Messers article in various magazines and online articles. Recently had great opportunity to meet with Donna face to face at International Networking day where we celebrated her 30 years in making great connections. Donna has written and spoken about so many areas of networking.


1st Question
  Entrepreneurs beginning to learn about business and how to grow it. Can you share the importance of building the resources for the long-term needs.

I’ve been in business for many years and I still keep in touch with people who were in my network from the beginning. Networking is all about “we” not “me” and in order to make that work – I need to keep in touch and ask my network “what’s new?”

People are happy to share their story with me – and I am constantly updating their data – knowing who I know, and who would benefit from knowing them is what I’m all about. Short or long term – it’s all about trust and credibility. By keeping current with your network – you keep their trust and you increase your credibility – and ultimately that builds the relationships you need for referrals.

2nd Question
    21st century had created a frenzy with social networking to promote and grow your professional and business portfolio. Had getting connected face-to-face being replaced by texting and talking on Skype?

In my opinion, we have to move with the times, while I still use face to face networking wherever possible, I’m using all the technology at my disposal. I have a QR code and from my Facebook business page – anyone with an IPhone can shoot the QR code and immediately get the message “talk to Donna” and it dials my phone number – awesome! I’m a writer and I’m always looking for good stories – using social media I can ask, “does anyone know anyone at Apple? I’m looking to write a story on the impact of the IPad on entrepreneurs and business owners.” Within minutes I will get a response I can measure. I use Skype to talk to my friends in Switzerland, Holland and around the world – it’s cost effective and it keeps me in the loop. My LinkedIn page is updated regularly through my Wordpress Blog. Is texting something I use? Not often, but if necessary – it’s there for me.

I use – Blog Talk Radio, On Line Television, and On Line Publications – that way I have visibility, credibility and profitability at little or no cost! As an entrepreneur, I have to stay on the leading edge of technology – if I don’t I’ll lose out.

About:

Donna Messer is an author, speaker and coach, an inspiring and passionate motivator, who has addressed thousands of people on three continents.


She is a former broadcast journalist and the author of more than 4,000 articles that have been published in magazines and newspapers around the world. Her book Effective Networking Strategies is a Canadian best seller. She is the Managing Editor of a new publication called TorontoEntrepreneurs Magazine.

Messer has played a critical and active role in introducing networking training to the curriculum of colleges and universities throughout the Canada, the United States and Europe.

She serves on the Executive Board for Women in Food Industry Management. Donna is also an active Rotarian, and on the board for The United Way of Oakville. She volunteers her time to support charities directed towards improving the status of youth, those with disabilities, women and new Canadians.

ConnectUs International Inc. www.ConnectUsCanada.com

No comments:

Post a Comment