Saturday, March 4, 2023

The summer of 1995 two teams with one mission Championship!

                                                                                 


                                                                

      One decision leads to choose sports of school!


     It was early 1995 and I was 24 years old in my last year of a four year co-op business administration program at Centennial college in Scarborough, Ont. 

   I was excited to graduate and go on to my next chapter of my life. It was during this time I made a decision that at the time seemed as an easy one, play ball hockey for the summer!  I participated  in many sports in my early 20's baseball,  basketball and tennis to name a few.

 So I signed up to play for two ball hockey teams in two different divisions playing a Rinx (Dufferin and Orfus area)  

  This is a story of success and few failures (lessons) along the way.


The NY Chiefs Season 

 Team 1was the NY Chiefs a group of very talent player that I had been playing with for a few years, it wasn't easy to convince co- captains Nelson and Jorge that I should play for them. I wasn't in the beat of shape at the time yet I had amazing ball handling skills and great shot!  

                                                                     Not in the best shape

  In the end I was in and and would mostly play on the fourth line meaning very little playing time during games, mostly if we were winning by more than 2 or more goals. I was okay with it and was always ready to go!

                                                                            Thunderbolt & Lighting

    Fernando was massing guy who also had a great game and I was little smaller than him so the Thunderbolt & Lightning line was created!   When we were on the floor literally the floor shook! 


   Team 2  was the Screaming Eagles the complete opposite of the NY Chiefs a collection of players of various talents from  good, bad to ugly!

   Being on this team was certainly going to be a huge challenge!  The season previous we were called the Aruba Tigers (see jersey below) so we had a few returning players and we renamed ourselves the Screaming Eagles, our jersey was that of the Washington Capitals (see below)

              

                                                                                 The seasons begin!

   I remember walking in for a first game of the season with the NY Chiefs and  convenor  Jeff says " You guys are going to win it all!"  I was happy mostly and little bit dismayed that the rest of the teams had no chance!

  Meanwhile Jeff made no such comment regarding the Screaming Eagles chances.

                                                                           The undefeated season in peril

  It was mid- season with the NY Chiefs and we were on a role! we were 6 wins and no losses and in the current game we were playing in late May were in a 1-1 going into the 3rd period

  I remember sitting at the end of the bench with Fernando chatting away and encouraging our fellow teammate when we heard Jorge say " Thurnderbolt and Lighting you are on next do what you do and get us one!"  

  I was shocked and looked at Fernando and said "Does he mean score a goal or just forecheck and be useful!"  Fernando turns around and says 'No Jim let's make it happen I will clear the way and you shoot and hit the net!"

                                                                             I ended up in the net!

  We hope over and literally everyone stood up the oppose team, people in the stands intently watching us play the sport we love with so much focus.

  All I remember was I was playing center  and was going to the net hoping to tip or knock in a loose ball into the net!

     Next thing you know I am running in and get in the zone, Fernando just shoot the ball in front of the next and honestly didn't even feel that I tipped the ball in the net, because I was ended up physically in the net!

                                                                                       We win the game!!!

     It liked forever to extract myself from the opposing net as opposing players were giving me some extra physical punishment.

  Eventually I make it to the bench and all my teammate were congratulating me on a well deserved winning goal. Fernando was super happy for me as I had scored the goal. I said to Fernando " just like you told me the only thing you forgot was all the hits I took!"

                                                                                        

                                                                                   Medal for 1st star

     We were all in the dressing room and Jeff walks in with a small medal (see below) and gives to me saying " Great goal Jim!'  I responded "Thanks Jeff!"

The season continued and we finished first with undefeated record with 14 wins and no losses and 1 tie

 We made it all the way to the finals and won the trophy (see below)


The Screaming Eagles season 

   The screaming eagles team was an assortment of players of varied skills and it was going to take lots of practice and patience to make it successful season.

  Rob Nicolic and I were co- captains and we truly believed we could make the playoffs and then see what happens!

  The season  began and we played  very poorly and we knew something had to done.  The only thing we could do was hold practices and have the players work on their game.

  As the season continued we began to play better and win some games. Instead of our opponent thinking they had a easy win they actually had to play hard to beat us!

   We made the playoffs we celebrated in the dressing room as if we had won the Stanley Cup!!!

                                                             The Playoffs and the determination

     To this day I don't even remember how we did it. It pure focus and determination that we could do it as a TEAM.

  In the coming weeks get through two round and into the FINALS!

   We would get to the rink and everyone would be excited and focus for the game.

  In the end we end up losing and get a secondary trophy (see below)

                                                                          Failures (Lessons)

    Remember earlier I mentions that it my last year of college.  Well during the final playing for the Screaming Eagles I had a final exam for Organizational Behaviour that I didn't pass because made the choice to play the rather than study the exams

  Ended up taking that course and few others in night school and getting all A's!

                                                                      Moral of this story 

      I did what I love and look at the trophies and medal all the time and truly remember the summer of 95 was a special and memorable in so many ways!

 

  

                                                                             

      

  

 

                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment