Saturday, March 4, 2023

The No-Hitter of 95!: (True) Story

 



  t was the the Summer of 1995 and I was 24 enjoying life and playing all types of sports!

  Wall Ball*  is one of my favorite I used to play with my brother and my fellow Greek friends in the neighborhood

 This summer was going to be special as we formed the Palmerston Wall Ball League for the first time.

 Palmerston Public School was where we all attended in public school and had the best dimensions to play wallball.

 Having a league was going to be fun as we would keep track of all the stats for the summer.

 It was in late July when a very special moment happened...

   I lot was the the Summer of 1995 and I was 24 enjoying life and playing all types of sports!

  Wall Ball*  is one of my favorite I used to play with my brother and my fellow Greek friends in the neighborhood

 This summer was going to be special as we formed the Palmerston Wall Ball League for the first time.

 Palmerston Public School was where we all attended in public school and had the best dimensions to play wallball.

 Having a league was going to be fun as we would keep track of all the stats for the summer.

 It was in late July when a very special moment happened... playing wall ball especially pitching! 

  I always visualized being a major league pitcher with great pitching acumen 

  On this particular day I was pitching well in a short 7 inning we had decided on.

   It was bottom of the seven and I has in a groove with no hits allowed and only 3 outs away from a no-hitter for the first year of the Palmerston Wall ball league

  It was not going to be an easy task. Facing Peter V. Tommy.F and Tom V. was going to need lots of focus and patience

  First up was Peter V. he was right and had a big bat, on this day he had struck out 3 times and hit a thunderous pop up which I had caught earlier in the game

   I  got him in three pitches and he was out number 1

 Next was Tommy F. he was a very smart hitter and always had smirk on face when he faced me. This always annoyed me!

  So I went deep into my thoughts and brought up Mike Maddux for the Atlanta Braves who a devastating array of pitches. 

  Th only way to keep Tommy V honest was to keep the ball inside and not allow him to extend his arms. It was not as easy at it sounds as I didn't want to hit him!

  So the first pitch I through goes in the box Strike 1

  the next pitch same location but I took something of it and in the box Strike 2

  The next pitch was a fork pitch (cutter) which goes straight and then drops down at the last minute it drops down

  So I try some deception to show that I winding up for fastball and  then I change my grip in my glove and let it go!

  The ball is released from my hand and Tom's eyes light up and he ready to take a rip into it!  Just at the last second it dips to the right he swings and it goes into the box. STRIKE 3 Your out the umpire yells

 Tom F is extremely made and agitated

 The next batter is Tom V who is left handed batter and very good hitter, I have kept him of balance with strike outs and few crazy pop ups.

  I went back to my thoughts and brought out Tom Henke of the Toronto Blue Jays the superior closer!

  All the guys felt this was going to be a epic battle. 

  Look into the box and thrust back my arm in and put the fastball grip and unleash a cannon straight into the box Strike 1

 Tom is little shocked but not rattled.

The next pitch I decided to throw fastback but in a sidearm motion and he swings and ball goes into the box Strike 2

It is 0-2 and the count is in my favor. 

 My arm is getting tired and muscle is beginning to hurt with pain. All I say to myself is "one more pitch!"

 Tommy V settles in and I am staring in at the box. 

 He will be expecting a fastball and I know he is, so let's throw the fork pitch instead! 

 The outfielders are focused and little nervous I tell them one stay close the other go deep.

  I settle in and throw the fork pitch...

  Tommy V cocks his bat back and swings the tennis ball goes right under the bat and into the box! STRIKE 3

 Oh my God I have thrown a no-hitter!!!

  It was memorable summer of fun and healthy competition









*Wall Ball or American a square is made on a wall and then 50 feet away a pitcher throws. Singles, Doubles, Triples and Homeruns are measure by distance travelled on preset areas.



                    

No comments:

Post a Comment