Thursday, January 30, 2020

Apparently, Common Sense is not Common: Special Guest Post

                                                                                          


It kills me to see so many entrepreneurs buying into programs, courses, and workshops taught by many of these, so-called, self-appointed “Experts and Gurus.”

I see it all the time. Entrepreneurs rush in to buy programs or workshops that promise great success, and yet months later, are no further ahead.

How do I know? I’ve asked entrepreneurs.

I simply look on Facebook and see who’s attending a workshop.

I keep track of their name, and then months later, message them and say, “I’m thinking of taking the same workshop, did it substantially increase your success?”

The answer I get, over 99% of the time is a resounding, “No!”

And usually, the only person that succeeds in making money is the self-appointed “Experts or Gurus” who run the event.

That’s because many self-appointed, “Experts and Gurus” don’t actually possess the experience or expertise to be able to truly help people.

In fact, I’ve seen several self-appointed, “Gurus” call themselves a Marketing, Facebook or Speaking “Expert,” when only a few months earlier, they were doing something entirely different in their life.
Now, all of a sudden they're an "Expert?" Seriously? Come on! That's more hype, than substance.
Let’s make Common Sense more Common.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are many experienced and professional experts out there.
You just have to find the right ones that can help you. Not the fake ones.

And that means using your common sense.

Common sense, is loosely defined as "sound judgment.”

So, if you’re going to purchase a program or workshop to improve your skills and expertise, make sure you use sound judgement in choosing the right program and trainer.

Ask questions of the trainer. If you’re taking a Marketing or Facebook course/workshop, ask the trainer what experience they have.

Find out how many years of experience they have, who they worked for, what have they done etc.
Ensure that they have the prerequisite knowledge and expertise to actually help you – before giving up your hard-earned money.

The same applies if you’re taking a workshop or program on Speaking or how to land more speaking gigs.

Ask the trainer to provide the last six months of speaking engagements where they were paid to speak.

A professional speaker who is running a course on landing more paid speaking gigs, should (dare I say!), have far more paid speaking gigs than the average person.

And the proof to back it up.

If they can’t land many paid speaking gigs, how are they going to show you how to do it?

Know what I mean?

So, if you’re looking to purchase a program, a course or a workshop in the future, be smart.
Thoroughly check out the course and trainer beforehand.

And help put the Common, back into Common Sense...

J. Brett Abbey
The Message Master
https://messagemasters.ca/
P.S. Do I know what I’m talking about? I sure do!
I have over 25 years of experience in the Marketing, Advertising and Communications industry, helping some of North America’s greatest organizations, generate more leads, increase their sales and enjoy more success.
See my full bio here: https://messagemasters.ca/jba/

No comments:

Post a Comment